Super Z in Istanbul

MERHABA!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007

students crack me up

Work last night was a gas, I laughed so hard! Thank goodness they were in a better mood than last week. Last week they were so stressed out and tired after work, they were being difficult.

Before class started I spotted Selcuk, one of my bosses who works in the other branch. He's an idiot. I hadn't seen or spoken to him in a month since I yelled at him on the phone. Great I thought, he'll be in my class to review me. I avoided him. Then on a break he caught me in a common area. It was awkward. He said hello and told me I look "really beautiful". I was stunned. (He's still a dick.) Then says he'll be in my class at 8:30 to give me a review.

The class goes back in and I tell them we'll have a guest. So Selcuk comes in and sits down, not saying a word, but all eyes except mine were on him. Getting on with the lesson, the Doctor (one of my best students) breaks the rythym of the class by turning to Selcuk and asking,"Are you an inspector?"

Selcuk was caught off guard replying,"No."
The Doctor then says,"OK, you're a friend."
Humored I turn to Selcuk the Dick and say,"Hello friend."
He was flustered but smiled back and replied,"Hello friend." Oh jeez, I'm laughing so hard on the inside and I have to go on teaching. I've been so disrupted I can hardly think of what to do next, I had a plan, now what was it? I contained my laughter, only showing it with a wide smile.

I was so pleased that they were being protective of me. As much as these guys can be difficult, I know they really like me. Finally Selcuk leaves the class. Salih (the 2nd best in the class and youngest at 35 years old) turns to me and says,"We were on our best behavior and used our best English. Now you have to give us something." They wanted early dismissal, but knew I couldn't do that because Selcuk was still in the office. I told them if I get a good review then I'll bring them something, but if its a bad review then forget it. That appeased them.

So we go on with the lesson and Muhammed the Manager excuses himself. As soon as he leaves the Doctor says,"He's going to pass urine." I felt a bit awkward and wanted to move on, but he wasn't letting it go. The class started mumbling something, then asked if that's the way you say it. And I said,"No, in English you say he's taking a piss." They repeated it and by now everyone was laughing. Muhammed came back in and they fell silent and looked at their books. No one was going to tell him what went on.

I just started laughing and told them they crack me up, a new expression we started class with. Trying to regain my composure, we went over what the homework assignment is and I told them they derailed the lesson so far that I have to let them go.

Its classes like this that make my job worthwhile. Shit these men are a gas! We went over grammar, expressions, had a conversation about the corruption index and Turkey's rating and religion, tried to talk about good/bad travel experiences and learned "taking a piss". Last week was really funny when we read an article from the Economist and the word 'asses' came up, referring to donkeys. I also told them the other meaning. And when the word 'dung' came up and they asked what it means, Salih explained it was shit. I think I may need to devote part of a lesson to useful insults and curse words.

I had a dream a few months ago that someone in class asked what "jerk off" means, so as long as that doesn't happen I think I can handle it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home