Super Z in Istanbul

MERHABA!

Friday, April 06, 2007

"I want to learn English but I don't want to talk."

Its a lovely day here, I let myself sleep in since its my day off.

Tomorrow I have a 1 hour class before my Level 1 class, its a Conversation class. A conversation class...this should be interesting, I haven't done one of these before. Hopefully the students are talkative and ready to speak-one of the biggest challenges in this job, getting students to talk. It really makes the 'method' my work promotes difficult, since its all about speaking. Turkish students are shy and uninterested by nature, you really have to get in their space and badger them. Its so annoying. "I want to learn English but I don't want to talk." Uh, problem. I just want the friggin money. Its difficult to make a lesson and chapter interesting when they don't want to get on with it and talk, and most classes are unbalanced in this respect. There are a few students who easily speak and get frustrated when the others just sit there.

On the upside, I am getting much better at teaching and usually have a bit more confidence with it. I would enjoy it more if I were teaching more than just English. Oh well, its a temporary gig.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home