Super Z in Istanbul

MERHABA!

Thursday, June 21, 2007

to clarify your news...

Still a whole lot of nothing going on. More hours get cancelled than I actually work. Which for this month I can kind of handle, because I'm insisting on still being paid for them. But that does nothing for my current state of boredom.

There are a lot of car accidents in Turkey, I think TR ranks the #2 or #3 in the world for the most accidents. Watching these people drive its no wonder why. I am no longer nervous in the car. Most accidents in Istanbul are fender benders, small stupid accidents. Yesterday when I was waiting for the chauffer I saw one across the street from where I was standing. It automatically meant that my driver would be another 15 minutes at least.

On the way home yesterday my driver was in a small scrape up with a taxi. It took 1/2 an hour before we could go anywhere, blocking traffic the whole time, sitting in the hot unmoving car. Not much for excitement. I can tell ya though that I wished I wasn't wearing long pants and a black, mid-length sleeved synthetic blouse.


On a different note, I've caught wind of some alarming news in the US about Turkey.
This week I spoke with the General Manager of a news channel about it. I'm not exactly sure what you're seeing on your television, I've seen a little on this end. But to clear up any confusion, what is being broadcasted as 'violence' is not violence nor a real problem. It is a "what if" scenario - imaginary - with no real basis - being thought up by American think tanks. There's a lot of hype about the upcoming elections in July. And its just that, hype. Turkey's secularism is not in danger. In the last few months there were a few protests, every healthy democracy needs them. And yes Turkey is dealing with a terrorist issue - because the terrorists don't like Turkey's secularism. The rest of the Muslim world says that Turkish people are not real Muslims, because they don't follow Islam the way the Koran says they should.

Turkey is a progressive developing country, foreign investors would not be throwing their money into this country if it were a political risk. And that's exactly what's happening, to the point that the Turkish Lira is expected to become equal in value with the US Dollar by the end of the year. (Currently the exchange is 1 YTL = 1.3 USD.)

Just in case you needed this cleared up....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home