Super Z in Istanbul

MERHABA!

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Women "off the record"

Tonight I've been translating Alaattin's birth record into English, and I came across a *discovery*. Background: I'm certifying myself as a translator from English to Turkish documents (yes, I can do that).

In Turkey, the birth record lists all immediate family members: parents & siblings. He has 3 sisters and 2 brothers.

As I'm translating this document, something stand out to me as SHOCKING.
When it comes to the SISTERS, who are married, under the Death Date, it says: "Closed Registration"

They are ON RECORD, but transferred to their HUSBAND'S immediate family, their status will no longer be listed on their brother's record. No more recording will happen on the records of their brothers.

What is strange to me, is that Turkey is a SECULAR country (although not as secular as the USA). Women were given the right to vote in 1926, long before it happened in many Western countries.

YET THIS???? It is truly appalling.

Next time I light a candle, I WILL REMEMBER THOSE WHO ARE ALIVE. I used to light candles and remember all who have died. Maybe I light the candle for the dead because of my sorrow. But I think I will from now on trade in on the dead for the alive. What do I mean?
I do think its important to remember those who came before us and fought some battles so we didn't have to fight them, to bring us to where we are. But that's so fucking selfish.

I need to remember those WHO ARE STILL SUFFERING. Because I am not. To cry for those who are dead, well that's just me. To feel and cry for those still fighting a battle, maybe my energy will be sent to constructively aid them in their battles.And during the battle, some just can't fight. They are just "there" so others can fight. Those are people I have to remember and light a candle for.

Be grateful for what you have.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home