Super Z in Istanbul

MERHABA!

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Turkish Hospitality

At dinner the other night with the family in town from the village... (sister, husband, 2 kids, husband's mother)

It wasn't as awkward as the first time...this time they didn't stare and weren't as afraid of me, the foreigner. The kids played with me and weren't as scared of me. The little boy (nephew) doesn't talk much, but he and I ended up communicating just fine. It helped that he used small words that I could understand. I was sitting in a chair and he told me come to the balcony, where he pointed out the cats. So he and I beckoned to the cats asking them to "gel, gel"(come, come). Of course they didn't come, but we got to bond. Then I got to play with his fat, pudgy cheeks. Oh I love his cheeks!!! They are so fat that you can squeeze both cheeks and his lips don't move! He just stood there and let me terrorize his cute cheeks. So I let him get mine too...his mom stopped us from our play after a little while.

Super A is weirdly fanatic about children's cheeks, and after I played with his nephew I can see why. Super A sees a kid and says he wants to make shish kabob with his cheeks. OK, a little cannibalistic, but if not taken literally, its not as scary a thought.

Dinner wasn't as awkward, they already knew that I can't comfortably kneel and sit on my knees for the meal. So the food was brought directly to the coffee table instead of the floor.

The food was DELICIOUS!!! One of my favorite Turkish dishes was served, stuffed eggplant, but this was the best I've ever had! So I ate 2 servings of eggplant, beans, grape leaves stuffed with some kind of grain and soaked in some kind of fruit vinegar, and they kept serving me more food. I was trying to say that I couldn't eat more, but more was heaped on my plate. So I ate and ate.

After dinner is tea time. With pistachios. How can I eat more?? Well I ate pistachios because they said something if I didn't.

Then is dessert, rice pudding. I didn't have room but I ate.

Then comes fruit. I tried to get away with eating just a plum. Not good enough. So I ate a pear.
HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK I CAN FRIGGIN EAT????

So then I was trying to hold nature's call, since their toilet is the 'old fashioned' kind, a porcelein hole in the floor (just not the same as sitting on the pot). But home was a taxi ride then a bus ride away, I managed to hold it.

Turkish hospitality will make you fat. These people can EAT! And the food is soooooooooooooo gooooooooooooood!!!! YUM!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home