Super Z in Istanbul

MERHABA!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Boredom does not live here anymore

I don't think I will be bored for a very long time now....

So yesterday I had an interview at a private K-8 school for an English teacher position, for a preschool and kindergarten class. The interview lasted 2.5 hours. I met the Principal, the head of the Language Department and the school Manager. They really liked me. The Principal said she would call me tomorrow with their decision and then could I start on Thursday. (As with every job I've encountered in this country, they want you to start within 48 hours of the interview. )

The night before I had an interview at an English school teaching adults in the evenings. Like 95% of the English schools here, it is like the 'McDonald's of English schools'. (I worked at one before.) Their method is a 'special' method which requires an in-house training and is kind of weird and outdated. (The Callan Method.) They wanted me to start 48 hours later. (The norm, as I said.)

So today the Principal called me at 11:00am and asked me to come in at 12:30pm. Last night was a late night, we were up cleaning the house for company. The phone call woke me up. I got to the school, met with the school's founder (its similar to a charter school) and then observed one of the classes that will be mine. Kindergarten.

I chose the K-8 school because:
- the pay is better (but not great)
- the hours are normal and regular, 8.30-5.00.
- A hot lunch in the cafeteria is included (which is actually good food!)
- I can take the school bus to work in the mornings
- The administration are all female
- I get regular breaks when the kids go for music lesson, etc.
- The school is first of its kind in the country and I want to be part of something groundbreaking

Working nights, weekends and sometimes mornings at the adult schools are really tough because you can't get into a regular schedule and you don't get paid for lesson planning or grading exams. Plus most of them have ineffective methods and are only there to make money. I find that really frustrating when people are paying a ton of $ and don't get what they need.

So tomorrow I start work as a pre-school teacher. I'll have 2 classes, and be with them for half a day each. One is a 3 year old class, the other is 4-5 year olds. As for qualifications, holding a 4 year university degree, having been here for 2 years with basic Turkish, living close to the school (6 mins by bus) and being a warm and friendly person is all they look for, since the job is pretty much babysitting.


And we will have a guest tonight (maybe tomorrow night too?). Unfortunately the timing is not great. But this is important! Alaattin's younger sister's (Fatmah) husband (Ahmet) is in the city on business and said he was coming to sleep at our house. (This is Turkey, it is always assumed that one is welcome in your home. Such is Turkish hospitality.) So last night we had to do 'big' grocery shopping to make sure we were stocked with a variety of fruit (the traditional snack and after-dinner eats), good white cheese and olives for breakfast (we usually buy the cheap stuff) and other necessities. We have to provide good hospitality, because the family back east will hear all the details. This is the first time I will be meeting Ahmet and have to give the best impression.

So I came home from the school at 4:00 (its 5:45 now) and started a pot of mercimek corbasi (traditional lentil soup) and will make tavuk guvec (chicken casserole) for dinner. Ahmet's room is ready, the sofa bed made and clean towels laid out. Otherwise I would have bought dinner from the neighborhood restaraunt across the street and a few beers and kicked back tonight in my underwear.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home